Thursday, August 24, 2006

Squeezing Money Out of Stone

The stone being us, that is.

I know, I know, long time no hear. Well, what'd you expect? We're on our last leg of preproduction before the shoot. ONE MONTH LEFT! ARGH! And we celebrated this momentous occasion with a hysterical breakdown and all out yelling match in order to burn that day into our heads.

But that's not what I'm here about. Been casting and I promise to put up the candidates soon. However, I've had the displeasure of having of dealing with the real filmmaking world out there. In my search forerformers I have also unearthed The Agent.

Now call me naive, call me uninitiated or call me a student- but what would an agent be doing dealing with a student outfit? I can fully understand the need for someone to negotiate on your behalf with other studios and lawyers who will be looking to take the most advantage out of the performer- but tell me again; what is an agent doing dealing with a student film?!?

I'll tell you what: trying to make a profit. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for people getting paid their due- but what's the point of bringing an agent into dealing with students. I mean, once you've approached a student film, chances are (unless them students are loaded) you'll be working for free. And this was what our posting clearly said: we can only pay expenses.

Dealing with the actress was so much human and realistic; and you can convince her of the merit of the project and bring her into your world. Then comes the phonecall from the Agent. He wants Equity for his performer (I just learnt this. It's the equivalent of minimum pay for actors in the business). Man, if we had the money would we be in college learning how to do this!? What's the point of extorting a student outfit for petty cash!? Either the performer is interested in the role or not.

Ick. Money...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home